Located on the northern coast of the island, Puerto Plata offers an array of adrenaline-pumping activities and exotic places to explore. From hiking, swimming and sliding through 27 Charcos, home to 27 stunning natural waterfalls, to the dramatic zip-line through “Monkey Jungle,” here are five exciting Puerto Plata experiences.
1. Outdoor Adventure:Visitors to the adventure capital of the Caribbean, Cabarete (20 minutes from Puerto Plata Airport), can indulge in renowned biking, kite surfing, kiteboarding and more. More information: www.activecabarete.com.
2. Canyoning– Thrill seekers can hike 27 Charcos, inclusive of 27 spectacular waterfalls, where they jump, slide and swim down the same path that they hike and climb up. More information: www.27charcos.com.
3. Monkey Jungle– Located between Sosua and Cabarete, Monkey Jungle offers a vast zip-line that drops into an ancient cave, a five-acre botanical garden and 25 friendly squirrel monkeys that happily pose for pictures. Awarded Trip Advisor’s 2014 Certificate of Excellence. More information: monkeyjungledr.com.
4. Kayak River Adventures– Sightseers can explore remote areas of the island through half and full-day kayak tours, overnight camping trips, and/or white water rafting excursions. More information: www.kayakriveradventures.com.
5. Mt. Isabel de Torres Hike– Passing through a sub-tropical rain forest, and offering spectacular views, this hike led by the Iguana Mama tour specialists starts at sea level and finishes three hours later at the 2,700 ft. summit. You can also go horseback riding on the beach or through the lush mountainous region. More information: www.iguanamama.com.